Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartup to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by the organization it is based on.
The restaurant industry is highly competitive, with numerous companies competing for customers' attention and loyalty. One company that has made a name for itself in this crowded space is the Spur Corporation. The Spur Corporation is a South African company that operates several restaurant chains, including Spur Steak Ranches, Panarottis Pizza Pasta, John Dory's Fish Grill Sushi, and RocoMamas.
Spur Steak Ranches, which is one of their most well-known chains, offers a range of meals that include combinations of meat meals, fresh salads, and a variety of desserts. Additionally, it is known for its pleasant atmosphere, which is ideal for families, and for its excellent customer service.
The foundation of Spur Corporation's strategy is consistency, which gives the business its dependable track record in the cuisine it delivers, the atmosphere of its restaurants, and its outstanding financial success.
However, as the sector's rivalry heats up, sustaining its pace will be challenging. The company knows that finding the correct sites and handling transportation is important, but creating the ideal flavor profile to appeal to new clients is also crucial to the success of the company's overall development.
In this article, we will explore the story of Spur Corporation, including how it started, its business and revenue model, and more.
Spur Corporation - Company Highlights
- Company Name-Spur Corporation
- Headquarters-Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
- Founder-Allen Ambor
Spur Corporation - About
A major multi-brand restaurant franchisor, Spur Corporation is the owner of several of South Africa's most recognizable restaurants with its corporate headquarters in Cape Town. It is traded on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange's travel and leisure market. It operates through the following subsidiaries:
- Spur Group (Pty) Ltd
- Spur Group Properties (Pty) Ltd
- Share Buy-Back (Pty) Ltd
The eight brands (Spur Steak Ranches, Spur Grill & Go, Panarottis Pizza Pasta, John Dory’s Fish Grill Sushi, RocoMamas, The Hussar Grill, Casa Bella, and Nikos Coalgrill Greek) of Spur Corporation have a unique environment and positioning strategy, deliver high-quality meals at reasonable prices, and give consumers a warm, family-friendly dining experience.
Over 600 outlets operated by franchisees of Spur Group can be found throughout South Africa, Mauritius, Australia, and the Middle East. Additionally, the group directly owns and operates 5 "retail" restaurants in South Africa. Additionally, Spur Corporation controls central purchasing for South African franchise stores and runs a sauce production facility.
Spur Corporation - Industry
- The restaurant industry of the economy involves preparing food and drinks that are served to customers directly or through curbside pick-up services, catering, or banquets. It refers to a sector of the economy that concentrates on providing food services in establishments like bars, restaurants, and cafés. If a company permits consumers to walk in, place an order, and dine there, it belongs to the restaurant sector.
- According to Square, 58% of restaurant owners are currently worried about the future of their business, down from a startling 92% the year before. According to the National Restaurant Association, 40% of owners think it will take the industry more than a year to recover. Another 17% of restaurant owners claim that following the COVID outbreak, business conditions at their restaurants may never return to normal. The good news is that restaurants are utilizing new technology and pandemic insights to satisfy consumer demands.
Spur Corporation - Founder and Team
- Spur Corporation was founded by Allen Ambor in 1967.
- Allen Ambor is a renowned entrepreneur from South Africa. He is the founder of Spur Corporation, which has grown to become one of the country's most successful and well-known restaurant brands. Ambor is known for his innovative approach to restaurant management and his commitment to providing high-quality cuisine and excellent customer service.
The board of directors comprises of:
- Val Nichas - Chief Executive Officer
- Cristina Teixeira - Chief Financial Officer
- Kevin Robertson - Chief Operations Officer
- Mike Bosman - Independent Non-Executive Chairman
- Dr Shirley Zinn - Non-Executive Director
- Cora Fernandez - Lead Independent Director
- Andre Parker - Non-Executive Director
- Jesmane Boggenpoel - Non-Executive Director
- Lerato Molebatsi - Non-Executive Director
Spur Corporation - Startup Story
- Allen Ambor, the Golden Spur's founder and executive chairman, launched the establishment on Dean Street in Newlands, Cape Town, South Africa, in 1967. With R2,000 of his own money, R4,000 from his father, and R5,000 from a partner who was subsequently bought out, Ambor invested a total of R11,000 in the first restaurant. The eatery first opened its doors on October 24, 1967. In the 2000s, the original restaurant relocated to a new spot near the intersection of Dean and Main Road before closing in 2020.
- Soon after the 1967 debut, a second Spur—the Seven Spur—opened in Sea Point, Cape Town. Following the second Spur's success, Ambor planned to use a franchising system to help the restaurants proliferate across the nation. Spur International, Spur Steak Ranches, Panarottis Pizza Pasta, Captain Dorego's, The Hussar Grill, RocoMamas, Spur Grill & Go, Nikos Coalgrill Greek, and Casa Bella are all part of the Spur Group. There are presently 569 locations for it across the world, including restaurants in different regions of Africa, Mauritius, the Middle East, and Australia. Spur Corporation sold Captain Dorego's in March 2018.
Spur Corporation - Name, Logo, and Tagline
Spur Corporation - Mission and Vision Statement
- Spur's mission statement says, "Bringing people together over great food."
- Vision statement, "Passionate people growing great brands."
Spur Corporation - Products or Services
- Franchisees are given the tools by Spur Corporation to continuously produce high-quality goods in accordance with each brand promise. Group marketing, a professional customer support center, and training are some of these offerings.
- Facilities management, executive, personnel resources, export, information technology, finance, and legal are some of its centralized corporate services that help the company achieve its goals.
Spur Corporation - Business Model
- The business model used by Spur Corporation is one built on franchises, with individual restaurants owned and operated by independent, business-minded franchisees.
- The company develops strong relationships with its franchise restaurants via the exchange of knowledge, expertise, support services, and infrastructure.
- As a condition of their franchise agreements, franchisees must pay for the development costs of new restaurants as well as relocation and renovation expenses within predetermined timeframes.
Spur Corporation - Revenue Model
- The revenue model of Spur Corporation can be understood under the following aspects:
Franchise and Retail Outlets
- The majority of the group's franchised restaurants, which are spread throughout its brand portfolio and are all based in South Africa, are managed by independent, business-minded franchisees who are in charge of the daily operations management of the restaurants. The firm provides franchisees with continuous assistance through skilled brand-and region-specific operations teams. Through routine visits, Spur provides operational support to franchised restaurants by evaluating food safety, product, and service standards, and group and regulatory requirements.
- Additionally, the company provides restaurant development through the committed administration of new franchises, moves, and renovations. Site selection, project management, and shop openings fall under this category. Spur Corporation is intimately involved in the day-to-day operations of one RocoMamas and four The Hussar Grill locations in South Africa.
Purchasing, Producing, and Distributing
- With the company's contracted logistics provider, suppliers, and franchisees, Spur Corporation upholds sustainable supply chain connections. In exchange for a procurement fee depending on the number of commodities moved via its outsourced distribution network, our procurement function guarantees food safety, quality, and a consistent supply of things acquired centrally. Additionally, the company runs a facility that makes sauces, which it uses to distribute some of its proprietary sauces to franchisees. Major South African merchants sell various goods directly to customers, including sauces, ribs, and hamburgers, which are made elsewhere under license.
Spur Corporation - Future Plans
- Numerous quick-service eateries that provide pizza, chicken, burgers, and sandwiches are indirectly staking the company's claims. The company's success has mostly been attributed to its excellent capabilities, the power of its franchised brands, a booming market, and a desire for further expansion.
- It also helps that it is situated nicely. Most developers now see it as an anchor tenant. As a result, the company is more likely to expand into cities and towns that fit its demographic profile. In order to ensure that it receives an even larger share of consumer spending, it has also tried many new categories. The company runs frequent marketing campaigns and discounts to keep customers coming back.
Who founded Spur Corporation?
- Allen Ambor is the founder of Spur Corporation.
When was Spur Corporation founded?
- Spur Corporation was founded in 1967.
Who is the CEO of Spur Corporation?
- Val Nichas is the CEO of Spur.
Which brands are under the Spur Corporation?
- Spur Corporation’s eight brands include Spur Steak Ranches, Spur Grill & Go, Panarottis Pizza Pasta, John Dory’s Fish Grill Sushi, RocoMamas, The Hussar Grill, Casa Bella, and Nikos Coalgrill Greek.