Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartUp to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by Mankind Pharma Limited.
One of the most thriving industries of today is pharmaceuticals. This industry can be said to be one of the biggest industries that yield effective solutions for the countless health disorders we have in the world these days.
Pharmaceutical manufacturing is a booming business and stands out as one of the important domains in the world of medicine and drugs.
Mankind Pharma - Company Highlights
- Headquarters-New Delhi, India
- Founder-Ramesh C. Juneja and Rajeev Juneja
- Areas served-worldwide
- Revenue -INR 7500 Crores (2022)
- Total Funding Raised-$239 million
Mankind Pharma - About
- Mankind Pharma is an Indian global pharma company that offers therapeutic goods in a variety of categories, including antibiotics, gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, dermal, and erectile dysfunction drugs. They span industrial fields including labs, medicines, and medical research.
- The company has three major brands; Manforce, Prega News, and Gas-O-Fast.
- Mankind is India's fourth-largest pharmaceutical company by domestic sales. It mostly focuses on delivering quality products at affordable prices and maintains a record of building and scaling brands in-house. Around 34 foreign countries in Asia, Africa, South-East Asia, the Gulf of Mexico, and the CIS is where Mankind conducts its business.
- The pharma has three R&D centers located in IMT Manesar, Gurugram, and Haryana.
Mankind Pharma - Industry details
- The Pharma industry is probably one of the crucial industries to enhance the quality of our life. Today, the Indian Pharmaceutical industry is estimated to be worth $42 billion worldwide.
Mankind Pharma - Founder
Mankind Pharma is founded by two brothers Ramesh C. Juneja and Rajeev Juneja in 1995.
Ramesh C. Juneja
- Ramesh. C. Juneja has honorable positions in several Indian pharmaceutical organizations. He is currently the Chairperson of Mankind Pharma. Ramesh C. Juneja began his career in 1974 with KeePharma Ltd. as a medical representative after earning his degree in science. He started working for Lupin Limited in 1975 and held the position of first-line manager for about 8 years. Ramesh C. Juneja serves as the head of the Himachal Pradesh-UK State Board for the Indian Drug Manufacturers Association and the Federation of Pharma Entrepreneurs (FOPE).
- Network 18 presented Ramesh C. Juneja with the Business Icon Pharma Award in 2011. He was also one of the four business titans nominated for the 2012 Asia Business Leadership Award and the 5th Annual Pharmaceutical Leadership Summit's "Business Leader of the Year Award." According to Forbes' list of the Top 100 Richest Indians, Ramesh C. Juneja is one of the richest Indians in September 2013.
- Rajeev Juneja co-founded Mankind Pharma Limited along with his brother Ramesh C. Juneja. Presently, Rajeev Juneja serves as the Vice-Chairman of the company. He dropped out of college to work in several pharmaceutical sectors before founding Mankind Pharma. Rajeev Juneja is the organization's main motivator and the reason for its success. He provides Mankind Pharma with a competitive edge with his understanding of every facet of marketing. Rajeev's goal is to make Mankind Pharma one of the top three businesses with a significant market share in the OTC and FMCG sectors.
Mankind Pharma - Startup Story
- Mankind Pharma was officially formed in 1991 but eventually started its business operations in 1995. In the initial days, Mankind Pharma had raised just Rs 50 lakhs through seed funding.
- In the 2000s, Mankind Pharma produced many breakthrough pharma products. In 2004, it launched the 'Amlokind' tablets and 'Glimestar' tablets. The following year, it opened its first manufacturing facility at Paonta, Himachal Pradesh.
- The medicine Dydrogesterone, also known by the brand name Dydroboon and used in high-risk pregnancies, was developed and released by Mankind in 2019, making it the first Indian business to do so and the second in the world overall.
- Mankind now employs over 14,000 people and aims toward $1 billion in sales.
Mankind Pharma - Mission and Vision
- The vision of Mankind Pharma is, "To be a global pharmaceutical company, most admired for its Affordability, Quality, and Accessibility of products."
- Mankind Pharma's mission statement reads, "To be able to provide cost-effective, innovation-based superior quality pharmaceutical products across the globe, to improve the lives of the patients."
Mankind Pharma strongly believes in and follows its seven Core Values:
- Customer Centricity
- Go Beyond
- People Development and Collaboration
Mankind Pharma - Business & Revenue Model
- Mankind Pharma's business operations mostly involve manufacturing APIs, Therapeutics categories like dermal, antibiotics, cardiovascular, anti-diabetics, vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and other generic medications. Along with the three main R&D centers, Mankind has two additional R&D centers, which are managed by its non-wholly owned subsidiaries. This includes its COPMED Research Centre in Dehradun, Uttrakhand, and Mediforce Research Centre at Paonta Sahib, Himachal Pradesh.
- Mankind Pharma's business includes producing several differentiated brands of condoms, oral contraceptives, antacids, pregnancy detection, anti-acne gels and creams, and vitamin and mineral supplements.
Mankind generates its main source of revenue by selling its following brands, which are also some of its highest-selling pharmaceutical brands. These are:
- Prega News
Mankind Pharma reports generating about 97% of its revenue through domestic sales. It also generates a good amount of income in the chronic therapeutic areas.
Mankind Pharma's CSR activities
- The company also operates by supporting many non-profit organizations that are engaged in education, healthcare facilities, social welfare, conservation of natural resources, and rural development.
Mankind Pharma - Funding and Investors
- Over two rounds, Mankind Pharma has raised total funds of $239 million. On May 28, 2015, they received their most recent round of finance from the secondary market. Three investors have financed Mankind Pharma. Capital Group and Chrys Capital are its most recent investors. The company is also reported to have been funded by an American-based independent investment firm, HarbourVest Partners.
Mankind Pharma - Mergers and Acquisition
- On February 1, 2022, Mankind Pharma bought Panacea Biotec Pharma's Formulations division. For $19.1 billion, they purchased Panacea Biotec Pharma's Formulations division.
Mankind Pharma - Investments
- Until now, Mankind Pharma has made three investments. Leverage Edu raised $22 million on March 21, 2022, marking their most recent investment. Leverage Edu is a marketplace powered by AI that is intended to assist students with their objectives for further education and job advancement.
Mankind Pharma - Advertisements and Social Media Campaigns
- Mankind Pharma has always been a player in marketing its brand like no other company. The company has roped in several Bollywood stars to endorse its brands and reach a massive target audience.
- In August 2021, Mankind Pharma launched a campaign to spread awareness about the essence of Covid vaccination. The campaign was called 'Vaccinate My India'. The video shows a doctor holding a torch and further handing it over to other frontline workers like pharmacists, nurses, delivery agents, ambulance drivers, police, army officials, and every other person to highlight the message of vaccination to beat the virus.
- Here is what Rajeev Juneja, the MD, and Vice-Chairperson of Mankind Pharma said regarding the campaign, “As the leaders in the pharmaceutical industry, our communication is always in alignment with the betterment and safety of our nation. With this campaign, we want to educate each and every citizen with regard to the importance of vaccination. Vaccinations are our only mode of protection from the deadly virus and we all must actively ensure to get as many people as possible vaccinated."
Mankind Pharma - Awards and Achievements
Mankind Pharma has won several awards. Some of these awards are listed below:
In 2022: Best of Bharat Awards by exchange4media
Mankind won the Award for Branding and Excellence for the Strategic Initiative to introduce DMF Quality Drugs in India
In 2021: Mankind received Silver Medal from National Awards for Manufacturing Competitiveness Assessment
Sliver Award for Good Health Brand
In 2018: Mankind Pharma got the Best Condom Brand of the Year Award
Pharma OTC Company of the Year Award
In 2017: Mankind Pharma received the Award for Best Design in Healthcare
Mankind Pharma - Competitors
The list of top competitors of Mankind Pharma are:
- Sun Pharmaceuticals
- Dr. Reddy's Lab
- Divi's Laboratories
- Torrent Pharma
- Abbott India
- Raymond's brand Kamasutra
- Syngene International
- Biological E
- Novo Nordisk
Mankind Pharma - Future Plans
- As per recent reports, Mankind Pharma has piled up many future plans. It is planning to enter the capital market by the end of 2022 with a target of a $1 billion IPO. Besides this, it is also aiming to launch more products in anti-diabetics and cardiovascular areas in the coming months. It also wants to focus on acquiring vaccine companies. Mankind Pharma wants to expand its operations beyond India, by establishing in the USA market with an ambition to achieve around Rs 600 crore annually.
Who is the CEO of Mankind?
- Sheetal Arora is the current CEO of Mankind.
Is Mankind Pharma a private company?
- Mankind Pharma is a public unlisted company.
Where is the head office of Mankind Pharma?
- Mankind Pharma has its head office in New Delhi.
What is the ranking of Mankind Pharma in the Indian pharmaceutical market?
- Based on overall revenue, Mankind Pharma is India's 10 largest pharma company.