Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartUp to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited.
Pharmaceuticals are known to treat illnesses since time immemorial. In the early days, the treatments were very different than the ones we have right now. Today, new methods of development and innovative minds have made the pharmaceutical industry a million-dollar global industry.
Pharmaceutical manufacturing companies help boost the economy of the country. It has also greatly contributed to the ecosystem on a global level.
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited is one such private pharmaceutical manufacturing company that is engaged in the formulation, manufacturing, and marketing of pharmaceuticals with its headquarters in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
Uncover all the details of Instas Pharmaceuticals's successful journey. Know about its founder, its key products, its business model, revenue, funding and investors, and so on.
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Company Highlights
- Company Name-Intas Pharmaceuticals
- Headquarters-Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
- Founder-Hasmukh Chudgar
- Revenue-$2.2 billion
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - About
- Founded in 1977, one of the top international firms for the creation, production, and marketing of pharmaceutical formulations is Intas Pharmaceuticals. It is the largest privately held Indian generic pharma firm and is now rated ninth in the Indian pharmaceutical industry. Intas has established itself as a pioneer in India's CNS, Cardio, Diabeto, Gastro, Urology, and Oncology therapeutic areas. It is renowned for its variety of products in the US and EU hospital-based therapeutic areas.
- The company claims that over the last five years, it has grown at a rate of roughly 25.5% CAGR, and in the most recent fiscal year, it surpassed the $1.9 billion threshold.
- 13 of the company's 19 production sites are located in India, 5 are in the United Kingdom, and 1 is in Mexico. Intas Pharmaceuticals has established a new production facility in Bavla, close to Ahmedabad, called PHARMEZ, with the ability to produce and export more than 1 billion solid doses and 5 million injectables.
- Under the name Accord Healthcare, Intas has established a network of subsidiaries throughout the EU, US, Canada, SA, Australia, APAC, CIS, and MENA.
- A commitment to delivering inexpensive biosimilars for billions across specialized categories including cancer, auto-immunity, ophthalmology, nephrology, rheumatology, and hormone-based medicines drives Intas' highly developed EU-GMP Certified Biopharma division.
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Industry Details
- According to reports, the Indian pharma industry has witnessed a growth of 103% since 2014. The high economic growth is pushing the expenditure on healthcare and medicine. The reports say the industry will be around $50 billion by 2025.
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Founder
Intas Pharmaceuticals is founded by Hasmukh Chudgar in 1977.
- Hasmukh Chudgar graduated from Gujarat University with a degree in pharmacy. He is presently the Chairman of the company. Hasmukh's sons Binish, Nimish, and Urmish operate the company's day-to-day management. Intas's business has expanded under Hasmukh Chudgar's direction both organically and via mergers and acquisitions. It is present in many treatment domains, including cardiovascular, diabetes, gynecology, respiratory care, and gastrointestinal.
- Hasmukh Chudgar is known for his low-profile image and has over six decades of experience in the pharma industry. The estimated net worth of his and his family is $6.5 billion.
- Binish Chudgar is the Vice-Chairman and Managing Director of Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited and its subsidiary Accord Healthcare. He gained his MBA degree in Accounting and Finance from the SP Jain Institute of Management and Research. Mr. Chudgar is the man behind the company's strategic growth and finance. He has played a key role in building Intas a "future-ready" organization since he is constantly considering "what next."
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Startup Story
- The company was started around 1977 and incorporated in 1985. In the initial days, Intas Pharma had a slow beginning. Still, it gradually started to pick up the pace with its strategic planning and taking initiatives in the chronic therapeutic business, including neurology and psychiatry. Much after a few years, the company's entry into the field of cancer, which has given it a significant footing in global markets, was a major break. The strength of Intas is its aptitude for seeing markets before rivals. In cancer and subsequently, infertility, it was successful in achieving this. The acquisitions with multinational companies especially in UK and Ireland, the company made a position for itself in the European market.
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Mission and Vision
- The mission statement of Intas is, "Contributing to better healthcare through innovation. Maximizing value for our stakeholders and customers."
- Intas Pharmaceuticals's Vision is, "To continually set new benchmarks in global healthcare with the power of human expertise, innovative research, and advanced technology."
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Name, Tagline, Logo
- The tagline of Intas Pharmaceuticals is, "Expressions for a Healthy Life"
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Business & Revenue Model
- Intas Pharmaceutical can be said to have a diversified business model. The company also has a B2B platform by acting as an active pharmaceutical licensor by supplying 140+ different finished products to 90+ partners in more than 50 countries. It operates as a vertically integrated global pharmaceutical formulation development, manufacturing, and marketing company.
- Intas has set up its subsidiary, Accord Healthcare to operate in global markets. With a strong sales, marketing, and distribution infrastructure in regions including North America, Europe, Central & Latin America, Asia-Pacific, CIS, and MENA nations, it is presently active in more than 85 countries globally.
- The company has a sizable prescriber base with comprehensive coverage of important specialties like neurologists, psychiatrists, cardiologists, diabetologists, consulting physicians, urologists, nephrologists, & oncologists. More than 2,50,000 medical professionals and 1,50,000 retail locations are serviced by a dedicated team of 6,000+ sales representatives in metro, semi-urban, and rural markets.
- Here's a brief about Intas' Domestic & International business units and how it generates its revenue:
- Intas, one of the fastest-growing Indian pharmaceutical giants, is now placed seventh in the Indian pharmaceutical industry, with a 3.1% market share. Intas has been routinely exceeding the Indian market with 15% growth thanks to a sustainable business plan. For an increased focus on brand development, its 8 Strategic Business Units use a multidivisional model with more than 40 marketing divisions that serve different treatment areas. Neurology, psychiatry, and cardiovascular therapies account for 50% of Intas' total domestic revenue.
- Intas entered the top 3 players in the UK and Ireland generics market in 2016 by acquiring Actavis' UK and Ireland business. Intas has 8,500+ products registered in the European market.
- Intas' US operations, which have their headquarters in Durham, North Carolina, are currently bringing in about $350 million in revenue. Intas has continued to develop and enhance its rating year after year despite competition from lower prices and a consolidated client base.
Other Emerging Markets
- With a diversified business model, Intas has its business operations present in Emerging markets in more than 20 countries including Brazil, South Africa, Mexico, and Australia. It is reported that Intas's sustainable business model helped achieve a 20% CAGR growth rate. Brazil contributed around 36% of its revenue, Mexico - 25%, South Arica - 15%, Asia - 10%, Australia and New Zealand - 7%, and other countries & Peru - 4%.
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Funding and Investors
- Throughout 4 rounds, Intas Pharmaceuticals has raised a total of $306.5M in investment. On June 2, 2020, they received their most recent round of investment from the secondary market. Two investors are funding Intas Pharmaceuticals. The most recent investors are Capital Group and Chrys Capital.
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Mergers and Acquisitions
- Two businesses have been bought by Intas Pharmaceuticals. Actavis Ireland Ltd. was their most recent purchase, made on October 6, 2016.
- The second acquisition was made on October 5, 2016, when Intas Pharmaceuticals acquired Actavis UK Ltd., a UK-based supplier of generic pharmaceuticals. The amount details are undisclosed.
- There are reports that Intas's subsidiary, Accord Healthcare had acquired a company. Sanofi's Fawdon factory in the UK was reopened in 2018 by Accord Healthcare to produce generic effervescent drugs. After Sanofi shuttered the operation, the factory was bought in 2015. Alongside, Harrow, Barnstaple, Haverhill, and Didcot, this is Accord's sixth manufacturing facility in the nation.
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Partnership
- A new therapeutic option for prostate cancer patients in Europe is now available thanks to an exclusive licensing deal that Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd's subsidiary, Accord Healthcare Ltd, has signed with UK-based biotech company Myovant Sciences.
- Through this partnership, the treatment of advanced hormone-sensitive prostate cancer under the brand Orgovyx (relugolix, 120 mg) will be available in the European Economic Area, the UK, Switzerland, and Turkey. As per the deal, Myovant Sciences will receive a total payment of $90.5 million. Intas-arm Accord will be in charge of regional commercialization and local clinical development, and it has the option to produce relugolix in the future.
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Challenges/Controversies
- In 2020, Intas Pharmaceuticals was accused of selling diabetes medications without first getting the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority pricing clearance.
- Intas has won Gold & Silver Awards for 'New Introduction of the Year' at AWACS Awards in Marketing Excellence for its Rejunex CD3 product
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Competitors
Intas competes with the following top companies:
- Dr. Reddy's Laboratories
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
- Cipla Limited
- Abbott India
- Torrent Pharma
- Aurobindo Pharma Ltd.
- Lupin Ltd.
- Acceleron Pharma
- Alphamab Oncology
- Purple Biotech
Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited - Future Plans
- Intas Pharmaceuticals is planning to acquire Athenex Inc in a $200-$250 million deal. Intas Pharmaceutical is competing with Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, as the company is also planning to acquire Athenex. Athenex is a US-based global biopharmaceutical company, that plans to sell a majority of its stake.
Who is the CEO of Intas Pharmaceuticals?
- Nimish Chudgar is the CEO of Intas Pharmaceuticals.
Is Intas Pharmaceuticals an MNC?
- Yes, Intas in an MNC.
What is the rank of Intas in the Indian market?
- Intas currently ranked as the 10th biggest pharma company in India.