Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartUp to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by Emcure Pharmaceuticals.
Imagine a world without quality medicines or treatments. Impossible, right? The industry of pharmaceutical is considered to be the most desired and flourishing industry today. It is responsible for the majority of the country's contribution to the economy.
The business of pharma is a serious one, as they are constantly under the scanner to produce quality medicines. The government does not want to compromise on health, which is why they have to be careful in the way they do their business.
Technology and innovation seem to have been incorporated rightly into these companies allowing them the freedom to develop various medications. These startup companies are in a lucrative area that requires a lot of innovation and continuous research every day to come up with new medicines.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals is an Indian global pharmaceutical company that manufactures tablets, capsules, and injectables.
Let's look at Emcure Pharmaceuticals and its journey to becoming a multinational company. Discover Emcure Pharmaceuticals' founder and team, growth, business model, revenue, competitors, and the challenges faced by them.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Company Highlights
- Startup Name-Emcure Pharmaceuticals
- Headquarters-Pune, Maharashtra, India
- Founder-Satish Ramlal Mehta
- Founded -1981
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - About
- Founded about 42 years ago, in 1981, Emcure Pharmaceuticals is now among the top 12 pharma companies in India that engage in the manufacturing of a variety of pharmaceutical products globally.
- With five research and development centres spread across 70 countries, Emcure has a strong presence in all major therapeutic areas including Gynaecology, cardiology, blood-related, oncology, respiratory, CNS & HIV among others.
- The company has also taken the initiative to launch 6 biosimilars in the Domestic Market & RoW markets & they are the domestic leader in three biologics.
- During the Covid-19 pandemic, the company founded its subsidiary, Gennova, which is creating India's first indigenous mRNA vaccine to combat the virus.
- Emcure has around 350+ brands with 14 manufacturing facilities established across the country. The company boasts of cutting-edge technology and API facilities that ensure its supply chain works flexibly to have control over manufacturing.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Industry
- The pharmaceutical industry in India is the world's 3rd largest by volume and 14th largest in terms of value. Without a doubt, Emcure belongs to the pharmaceutical industry.
- According to sources, Indian pharma companies play a key part in the country's foreign trade with attractive avenues and opportunities for investors.
- It is also reported that the Indian pharma market contributes 57% of APIs to prequalified list of WHO.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Founder and Team
The company was started by Satish Ramanlal Mehta in the year 1981.
Satish Ramanlal Mehta
- Satish Mehta is the founder of Emcure pharmaceuticals and also serves as the CEO and MD of the company. He is a postgraduate in Chemistry from Pune University and has a diploma in management from the IIM, Ahmedabad.
- Satish Mehta has strong leadership qualities due to which, his company Emcure has become a well-respected company in the global pharma market in more than 70 countries with its key subsidiaries in the UK, Canada, Singapore, Brazil, and others.
- He has also served as a member of the Committee to recommend / frame Rules under the Indian Institutes of Management Act, 2017 – Ministry of HRD (Government of India), Economic & Commercial Consultative Group (ECCG) – NITI Aayog (Government of India), and India-China Bilateral Council – NITI Aayog (Government of India).
- In 2016, Satish Mehta was ranked on the Forbes Rich List as the 82nd richest Indian with a net worth of $1.6 billion.
- Namita Thapar is the Executive Director of Emcure Pharmaceuticals' India business. She is an MBA graduate from the Fuqua School of Business and a Chartered Accountant from the ICAI.
- She joined the company as CFO, and her responsibilities grew over time to include managing the company's largest business unit, its India business. Namita is extremely passionate about improving women’s health in India and is also a great promoter of youth entrepreneurship in India.
- Namita Thapar is also an avid investor, and her support for Indian startups can be seen on the show Shark Tank India, where she has served as a prominent shark.
- Sunil Mehta is the Executive Director, Projects at Emcure Pharmaceuticals. He is a graduate of Commerce from Pune University and a postgraduate in Business Administration from the Institute of Management Development and Research, Pune.
- Sunil also serves on the board of Gennova Biopharmaceuticals Ltd., a prominent subsidiary of Emcure Pharmaceuticals.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Mission and Vision
- The company's vision is mostly about providing quality healthcare solutions globally through maximum technological and innovative scientific techniques.
- Emcure likes to work with integrity, deliver quality and patient-focused results, and has strong teamwork and respect among each other.
- Here is what Satish Mehta has to say about the company:
- “Since inception, Emcure has focused on introducing differentiated products backed by cutting-edge research & development and innovative manufacturing solutions. We continue to work towards our aim of constantly innovating, partnering with local and multi-national, delivering affordable & high-quality healthcare solutions to people and enabling them to lead healthier lives. It’s our conviction that Science will prevail!”
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Name, Tagline, and Logo
Emcure's work speaks through its name which is Effective Medicine for Cure. The company rightly does its work by creating effective medicines that reach every patient and help them lead healthier lives.
The company goes by the tagline, "Success through Innovation".
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Business Model
- Emcure has a presence in 70 countries across the world. The company is mostly engaged in developing, manufacturing, and marketing a broad range of pharmaceutical products across the globe. They have 11,000+ employees with 400+ located in other countries.
- In India, Emcure's business continues to play a key role in the market today constituting about 41% of the turnover.
Its main offerings are:
- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs)
- Vaccines for Covid-19
Emcure has a strong presence of 4,600 professional doctors with specialisations that have led the company to dominate the Indian market. Besides this, they have become one of the market leaders in therapy areas.
Emcure has waste management and environment protection systems installed at every manufacturing plant to comply with the laws of the environment. They also perform regular audits to keep updates about their operations to ensure ethical activities and compliance.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals Financials
- As the company focuses more on chronic and sub-chronic therapies in India, they mostly get its domestic revenue from these areas, which is about 64.75% of its revenue. The therapeutic areas are gynaecology, cardiac, dermatology, anti-infectives, anti-retroviral, gastrointestinal, respiratory, oncology, cardiovascular, pain and vitamins. In FY21, Emcure Pharmaceuticals' revenue was Rs 6,091.8 crore.
- The company also claims that there has been 20% growth over the previous year, and the primary growth was through Domestic and international markets especially RoW (Rest of the world) and Canada.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Subsidiaries
Below is the list of Emcure Pharmaceuticals subsidiaries:
- Gennova Biopharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Zuventus Healthcare Ltd
- Emcure Nigeria Limited
- Emcure Pharmaceuticals Mena FZ-LLC
- Emcure Pharmaceuticals South Africa (Pty) Limited
- Emcure Brasil Farmaceutica Ltda
- Heritage Pharma Holdings Inc. d/b/a Avet Pharmaceuticals Holdings Inc.
- Emcure Pharma UK Ltd
- Emcure Pharma Peru S.A.C
- Emcure Pharma Mexico S.A. DE C.V
- Marcan Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Emcure Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Funding and Investors
- With 20% growth from the previous year, the company is now planning to raise Rs 4,500 - 5,000 crore through IPO.
- Private company Bain Capital has a 13.09% stake in the company and will sell 99.5 lakhs, while other shareholders will sell 22 lakh shares.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Awards and Achievements
- Emcure Pharmaceutical sure knows how to do business, and by producing about 350+ brands under its manufacturing, the company has won many awards.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Challenges Faced
- The pharmaceutical sector is expanding by creating opportunities for differentiated product varieties. With the rise in drug usage, there are a lot of other pharma manufacturers which pose a challenge for Emcure Pharmaceuticals.
- The constant changes in international pharmaceuticals and the regulations associated with it affect the company because the majority of revenue comes from the global market.
- The uncertainties of Covid-19 are also a challenge for the company's covid vaccines which are under process and are likely to affect the trial phase.
- A few reports suggest that companies like Supriya Lifesciences, and Vijaya Diagnostic Centre among others are also planning to launch their IPO during the same time and this might affect Emcure.
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Competitors
- As mentioned due to the wide options in the pharmaceutical companies, Emcure Pharmaceuticals has tough competitors that could affect their sales growth.
Emcure Pharmaceutical competes with the following companies:
- Sun Pharma
- Abbott India
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
- Biocon Limited
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals
- Alkem Laboratories
- Intas Pharmaceuticals
- Natco Pharma
- Amneal Pharmaceuticals
- Supriya Lifesciences
Emcure Pharmaceuticals - Future Plans
- Sticking to their tagline, "Success through innovation", the company's subsidiary, Gennova Biopharmaceuticals, was working on an mRNA vaccine for Covid-19 as of 2021.
- The company has huge plans to grow its biosimilars and vaccines.
- Here's what the CEO of Emcure has to say,
- "In a challenging year, we have posted strong 20% growth in revenues, doing well across businesses and also fulfilling our social responsibility in the ongoing pandemic"
Who is the founder of Emcure Pharmaceuticals?
- Satish Ramanlal Mehta is the founder and CEO of Emcure Pharmaceuticals.
What is the revenue of Emcure Pharmaceuticals?
- The revenue of Emcure Pharmaceuticals is Rs 6,091.8 crore in FY21.
What is the valuation of Emcure Pharmaceuticals?
- The leading pharma company, Emcure Pharmaceuticals has an estimated valuation of Rs 5000 crores.