Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartUp to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by DTDC.
It feels amazing when you have your desired goods right at your doorstep. Due to the growth of privatization, we have many good courier service providers. A courier service differs from normal mail delivery services on the basis that it provides features such as security, tracking, and proof of delivery.
One of the most popular courier services in India is DTDC. Desk to Desk Courier & Cargo, commonly known as DTDC was founded in 1990 by Subhasish Chakraborty and has headquarters in Bangalore.
Read the article to get an understanding of DTDC's success story.
DTDC - Company Highlights
- Headquarters: Bangalore, India
- Sector: Courier, Logistics, Supply Chain, and Storage
- Legal Name: DTDC Express Limited
- Founder: Subhasish Chakraborty
- Founded: 1990
- Revenue: More than Rs 500 crores
- Website: dtdc.com
DTDC - About
- DTDC, founded in 1990 and headquartered in Bengaluru, employs a field workforce of over 40,000 people across India through four zonal offices, 20 strategically situated regional offices, and over 570 operating sites.
- DTDC Express Limited is India's major provider of express package services. Through its strategic partnership with Europe's DPD group, which is backed by Le Groupe La Poste - the French Postal organization, DTDC's global network and reach offers end-to-end solutions for parcels with diversified offerings such as Express Domestic, International, Supply Chain Solutions, 3PL, Warehousing, E-commerce, E-Fulfilment, and Cross Border. Through its wide network of more than 11,000+ franchisees, DTDC Express Limited has a presence in more than 500 district headquarters and offers services to over 11,400+ Pin codes while handling more than 12.5 million packages every month.
- DTDC is a strategic partner of the Dpd group (an international parcel delivery service provider).
- It also has its own operations, joint ventures, and commercial associates, through which it occupies a large presence in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, the United Arab Emirates, Australia, China, Singapore, and other Asian nations.
DTDC - Industry Details
- We are aware of the fact that the courier and freight industry is one of the booming industries today. As per reports, the global courier, express, and parcel (CEP) market is anticipated at a CAGR of 10% growth by 2027. This industry is witnessing major growth due to new and emerging players in the market.
DTDC - Founder and Team
DTDC is founded by Subhasish Chakraborty in 1990.
- Subhasish Chakraborty was born into a middle-class family. He graduated from the University of Calcutta. During his graduation, Subhasish worked at Peerless Insurance. After working for almost six years at the insurance company, Subhashish decided to start his own business. That's how DTDC was born. Subhashish became the first Indian to take over the UAE-based courier firm Eurostar Express in 2012. Presently, he is the Chairman and Managing Director of DTDC. He has been awarded the Inc. India’s Top 30 Innovative CEOs for the second consecutive time in January 2015. Besides this, Subhasish Chakraborty has also been commemorated as the Most Admired Leader at The Asian Brand Conclave for 2014-15.
- Abhishek Chakraborty is the Executive Director of DTDC Express Limited. He got his bachelor's degree in Engineering in Electronics & Communication from Visvesvaraya Technological University. In addition, Abhishek obtained his Master's degree from the Indian Institute of Management. Before joining DTDC, Abhishek worked at Accenture as a Consultant. Abhishek Chakraborty has received '100 Emerging Voices of India - 2019' issued by Yourstory. He has also achieved the
- Young Business Leader of the Year award, which was issued by Zee Business in association with SAP India in October 2019.
DTDC - Startup Story
- The idea of DTDC came into being when founder Subhasish Chakraborty realized during his tenure at the insurance company that there was a big gap between what postal services offered and what customers needed. This pushed him to start a courier service that would be customer-centric.
- Initially, it was incorporated as a private company but later in 1994, it was converted into a Public Limited Company. In the 2000s, DTDC started its international expansion in the US, UK, and Dubai.
- DTDC introduced Premium Express Products (PEP) portfolio in 2008.
- After 32 years and over 10,000 sites worldwide, DTDC Express Limited has evolved from a local courier service to an international logistics organization.
- In 2015, DTDC was rebranded to DTDC Express Limited. It also opened new up its first-ever automated hub facility in Hyderabad, followed by Delhi.
DTDC - Mission and Vision
- The mission statement of DTDC is, "To be the Most Preferred Express Parcel Service Provider with a Special Consumer (2C) Focus."
DTDC - Name, Tagline, Logo
- DTDC goes around with its tagline, "Delivering Value"
- DTDC was initially known as DTDC Courier & Cargo Limited. The name was changed to DTDC Express Limited in 2015.
DTDC - Business & Revenue Model
- DTDC's business model can be said to have a franchise-based business model. Its business is mostly about express package services across national and international borders. DTDC's franchise-based business model system is to boost its partners with the requirements of capital, access to technology, strategy knowledge, and equipment.
- The main source of revenue earned by DTDC is through the following services;
Cross Border Management
- Cross Border management is not just limited to offering services across the globe but it is about using expert e-commerce research to connect all of the dots and link all of the supply chain elements at competitive costs. The company has a tailored set of logistical solutions that guarantee to take up its client business to new heights.
Integrated Technology Platform
- DTDC offers single-window frameworks to all e-commerce websites for hosting customers' products. Its excellent back-end software support enables effective inventory management, channel management, order management, vendor status updates, account reconciliation, and other services. The bespoke IT platform guarantees its clients' connections are simple and painless, without sacrificing openness.
- For companies to manage e-tail distribution with several vendors might be one of the most difficult challenges in running a successful business. To make this process go as smoothly as possible, DTDC offers fulfillment centers and technology platforms that are interconnected with all of the key network partners. In this manner, there would be no gaps in reaching out to worldwide customers. It delivers to customers located anywhere in the world.
Warehousing and E-fulfilment services
- DTDC along with parcel delivery services also offers warehousing and fulfillment services. Its fulfillment warehouses are designed to make order fulfillment operations run smoothly, from reception through product delivery. Its best-in-class warehouse management solutions are designed to ship thousands of orders of any size quickly and effectively.
Last Mile Delivery
- DTDC is proud to hold India's largest delivery network and is internationally recognized for providing best-in-class international package services. The technical basis of DTDC has been created to support smooth delivery and return handling. It has Cash On Delivery (COD) service, Next-day delivery, Managed Drop Ship, 3PL Management, and Reverse Logistics.
DTDC - Funds and Investments
- Reliance ADAG has made investments in DTDC through a private equity round. The details of the amount have not been disclosed.
DTDC - Mergers, and Acquisition
- DTDC acquired a Bangalore-based freight forwarding company Nikkos Logistics Pvt Ltd to enhance its freight presence globally - in 2013
- DTDC acquired a majority stake in Eurostar Express of UAE - the first international acquisition by an Indian express company - in 2012
DTDC - Investments
- On April 6, 2016, DTDC invested in Shipsy. A Gurgaon-based company, Shipsy's platform offers data-driven decision-making for the Supply Chain sector, increasing visibility, and operational efficiency.
- The investment by DTDC was through Seed Round at $1 million.
DTDC - Advertisements and Social Media Campaigns
- In 2017, DTDC ran a campaign featuring former cricket captain 'Sourav Ganguly'. The ad titled 'Going Beyond the Parcels' shows Sourav Ganguly giving a monologue about the different services and features of DTDC. The ad also shows how DTDC helps so many customers in the quest of sending and receiving goods to their desired destination.
DTDC - Awards and Achievements
Below is the list of awards and recognition achieved by DTDC:
- DTDC has been awarded the Best Franchisor Award for the 10th time in a row by Franchisee India.
- DTDC’s Brand Campaign TVC “Going Beyond the Parcel” has been awarded the Best Corporate Film under the category “Best Corporate Film encompassing Vision, History, Values & Spirit of Excellence” presented by the International Management Film Festival and Times Ascent.
- DTDC has been awarded the prestigious Most Admired Brand Award in Asia at The Asian Brand Conclave for 2014-15
DTDC - Competitors
The top competitors of DTDC are:
- Blue Dart
- Ecom Express
- Professional Courier Services
- Safe Express
- InXpress India
DTDC - Future Plans
- DTDC is currently planning to go for IPO to raise an estimated sum of Rs 1000 crores. It is further planning to scale up its infrastructure to meet the rising demands of companies, especially in the healthcare sector. Here's what Subhasish Chakraborty, MD, and Chairman of DTDC say about their plans, "To further enhance our services and streamline the operation to serve our customers better, we are building major logistic hubs across the country and expansion for greater business growth and delivering value to customers across length and breadth of the country”.
Who is the CEO of DTDC?
- Mr. Subhashish Chakraborty is the CEO of DTDC.
What is the full form of DTDC?
- The full form of DTDC is, 'Desk To Desk Courier & Cargo'
Is DTDC an Indian Company?
- Yes, DTDC is an Indian company.
Where is the headquarter of DTDC?
- The headquarter of DTDC is in Bangalore, Karnataka.