Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartUp to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by Chevron.
All over the world, people are raising concerns about the environment and the damage it has suffered. In such times the energy and power sector needs to rise up to the occasion. Chevron is an essential energy sector player that prioritizes the concerns raised.
The company has reached pinnacles of success over the years. Chevron has diversified into other small segments, and its subsidiaries also earn profits. Here we will tell you everything about Chevron and how it reached its levels of success.
Chevron - Company Highlights
- Headquarters: Keene, New Hampshire
- Sector: Grocery wholesale and distribution
- Founder: Abraham Seigel and Israel Cohen
- Founded: 1918
- Revenue: $30 Billion (2021)
- Employees: 17,000+ (2017)
- Website: www.cswg.com
Chevron - About
- Chevron is an American MNC that operates in the Energy and gas segment. It was initially founded as the Standard Oil Company of California. The company was founded in 1879 and currently operates in more than 180 countries.
- Based on revenue, the company sits in the second position in the Oil sector in the US. It ranked 16th in the Fortune 500 list of 2022. The company’s present chairman is Mark Wirth, with approximately 48,600 employees.
- As part of its endeavor to be unique, Chevron has also entered into some related segments. These include Marine transport, chemicals, retail and alternative energy.
Chevron - Industry
- Basically, Chevron operates in the Oil and gas segment. It explores, produces, and distributes oil and natural gas, lubricants, and transport fuel. It also sells petroleum and its additives. The US oil and gas market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3%. This is for the period 2022-2027. Post-Covid, the market has recovered, and crude oil prices are around $80/ barrel.
- However, this industry contributes massively to carbon emissions. Now the Government is trying to impose measures to curtail their carbon footprint. The increased focus on renewable energy sources may bring a reduction in emissions.
Chevron - Founders and Team
The founders of Chevron are Charles. N. Felton, George Loomis, and Lloyd Tevis. They launched the company in September 1879.
Charles Norton Felton
- Charles Norton Felton was an American Politician and banker. He also served as a Congressman from 1885-89 and became a senator from 1891-93. The town of Felton in California was named after him. In 1879 he established the Pacific coast oil company with Lloyd Tevis and George Loomis.
- Lloyd Tevis was a capitalist and banker. He was the president of Wells Fargo and Company from 1872-1892. He was a strong businessman and was also a prominent figure in the mining industry in the 1880s.
- The present CEO of Chevron Corporation is Michael. K. Wirth. He took over as the chairman and CEO in 2018. Prior to that, he was vice-chairman of the board and Executive VP of Midstream and Development.
- Wirth joined Chevron as a design engineer in 1982. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Colorado. Apart from that, Mike serves as the chairman of the board of the American Petroleum Council. He is also a member of reputed organizations like Business Roundtable, National Petroleum Council, etc.
Chevron - Startup Story
- In the 1860s, there was a clamor to lay hands on one of the most precious elements, i.e., Black Gold or Petroleum. Explorers searched everywhere but failed, and many returned back empty-handed. However, Demetrius Scofield and Fredrick Taylor did not lose hope. Eventually, they kept trying, and one of their workers found oil in Santa Susana Mountains in 1876.
- California became the new destination for those wanting to make easy money. Yet California Star did not have the investment to cash out this opportunity. The Pacific Oil Coast Company acquired them in 1879. Soon the company set up its pipelines and started drilling.
- Soon it faced stiff competition from Standard Oil Company. Due to a lack of marketing expertise, PCO was taken over by Standard oil company though the name was unchanged. The company continued to do well and eventually in 1984 merged with Gulf Oil. That same year they changed the name to Chevron corporation.
On October 15, 2000, Chevron took over Texaco, intending to create the second-largest oil company in the USA. The merger was completed in October 2001, and Texaco remained a brand under the Chevron stable.
How To Start a Fuel delivery Business In India?
- The fuel delivery market is projected to grow hugely. Here is a guide to help you start a fuel delivery business and become a fuel entrepreneur.
Chevron - Mission and Vision
- Chevron corporation’s vision statement is as follows:
- At the heart of The Chevron Way is our vision to be the global energy company most admired for its people, partnership, and performance.
- Their mission statement is:
- The Chevron Way explains who we are, what we believe, how we achieve, and where we aspire to go. It establishes a common understanding not only for us but for all who interact with us.
Chevron - Name, Tagline, and Logo
Chevron Corporation’s tagline at present is:
- The first logo of Chevron depicted the company name in front of the picture of the site where they first found oil. In May 1911, Standard Oil Company used the name Chevron for the first time and created its first logo.
- Again in 1969, they developed a new logo that used blue and red colors. At present, the logo of Chevron shows two downward angles placed parallel to each other. They have originated from Chevron, meaning angles, and represent “badges of rank.”
Chevron - Business Model
- Chevron provides oil and gas products to industrial and regular customers. It operates in two business segments. Let us read about both of them:
- This comprises the company’s development and exploration of oil and natural gas. The other processes that come under upstream business are processing, transportation, liquefaction, storage, and marketing efforts.
- On the other hand, downstream consists of processes like refining crude oil into petroleum products, marketing, and transportation. Under this category, the company also covers the manufacturing and marketing of petrochemicals and plastics for industrial purposes.
- Chevron serves industrial clients in the industries like plastics and rubber, chemical manufacturing, automotive, pharmaceutical, oil and gas, and utilities.
Chevron - Revenue Model
- In the third quarter of 2022, Chevron reported its earnings as $11.2 billion. This showed a steep hike from the $6.1 billion they had mentioned in the third quarter of 2021. The foreign currency effects raised the earnings by $624 million.
- Sales and other revenues for the company during this period were quoted as $64 billion. Their US Upstream operations earned around $3.4 billion again in that time. Furthermore, the international upstream earnings were around $5.91 billion.
- The US downstream earnings for the third quarter were $1.29 billion, while the International downstream earnings were around $1.24 billion.
Chevron - Employees
Chevron Headquarters - San Ramon California
- Chevron has approximately 47000 employees working for it. It offers them a salary package over the average market price. The company also ensures the employees are happy by giving them the benefits like health insurance, dental and life insurance, pension plan, flexible working hours, paid holidays, etc. Popular employee sites like indeed and glassdoor have rated Chevron with four stars.
- Read to know the approach of Sanchit Malik, Co-Founder & CEO of Pazcare on different ways to offer a perfect work-life balance to employees.
Chevron - Challenges Faced
- The maximum issues that Chevron faced were because of the carbon emissions generated by the use of their products. As the people started becoming conscious of the damage to the environment Chevron and other oil companies faced a lot of flak.
- They were continuously criticized for their contribution in this regard. Another issue that Chevron faced was when they took over Noble Energy targeting the Mediterranean markets. However, deep gas is costly, and with many competitors, they initially faced losses.
- To address the environmental matter, the company ventured into the renewable energy segment. They bought Renewable Energy group in June this year and also signed a JV with Bunge North America Inc.
Chevron - Growth
- At present, the year-over-year cash flow growth for the company is 75.2 %. The average industry rate is around 45.8%, and Chevron is well above that. Apart from that company’s annualized cash flow growth rate is 9.5%. The industry average gain is 9%.
Chevron - Online and Social Media Presence
- Chevron has a vast presence on social media. It has accounts on all prominent social media platforms and responds quickly to any queries raised. The brand gives priority to quality over quantity. That is why at present, the social media details of the company
Chevron - Awards and Achievements
- Chevron has always been appreciated for its efforts toward the environment, and the fact that it offers excellent benefits to its employees also helps. Some of the recent awards Chevron has received are:
- It was named the Employer of the year, championing Inclusion, equality, and diversity at the EGYPS 2022 Global Equality in Energy Awards.
- In 2019 Chevron received the Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award.
- Chevron’s subsidiary Chevron Phillips Chemical earned 24 safety awards from the Texas Chemical Council For their excellence in Safety performance.
- At the Asia CEO awards, Chevron was awarded the Diversity company of the year in 2022.
Chevron - Competitors
Chevron is one of the highest revenue earners in its industry. Some of its competitors are:
- Exxon Mobil
- Shell Plc
- Total Energies
- Phillips 66
Chevron - Future Plans
- Chevron holds the opinion that the future is about lower energy emissions. They are planning to allocate $10 Billion to lower carbon allocation between 2022-2028. Chevron plans to grow in the renewable fuels and hydrogen segment, focusing on reducing the carbon footprint.
- Started in 1879, Chevron corporation underwent multiple changes to be evolved as one of the largest companies in the world. It is the second-largest oil company in the United States based on its revenue.
- The company is present in 180+ countries. It was founded by Charles. N. Felton, George Loomis, and Lloyd Tevis, with Micheal Wirth serving as the current CEO of the firm.
What is the industry in which Chevron is operating?
- Chevron operates in the Energy and Oil and gas industry. Initially, they were only focused on Oil and gas, but now they are expanding into other areas like chemicals, marine transport, renewable energy, etc.
What are the business segments that Chevron is working in?
- Chevron focuses its work on the upstream and downstream segments.
Who were the founders of Chevron?
- The Founders of Chevron were Charles N Felton, Lloyd Tevis, and George Loomis.
When was Chevron set up?
- Chevron was formed on September 10th, 1879.
Is Chevron active on social media?
- Yes, Chevron is pretty active on social media. It has various handles on social media platforms, making it easy for customers to reach out to them.