Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartUp to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by Airbyte.
In the past few years, almost every industry has transformed digitally. And digital transformation is the primary reason every company focuses on accumulating more and more data via different software. Valuable insights into business data help companies make the best decisions and, thus, create a competitive edge.
However, with an increased data volume, managing it becomes more difficult. It's when Airbyte comes for help. The company integrates its clients' data while maintaining its quality.
Read further to uncover all vital details about Airbyte- its startup story, founders, acquisitions, funding, investors, growth, and more.
Airbyte – Company Highlights
- Company Name-Airbyte
- Headquarters-San Francisco, California,
- Sector-Software Development
- Founders-Michel Tricot, Jean (John) Lafleur
- Founded In-2020
- Revenue-$1.5B (2021)
Airbyte - About
- Airbyte is an open-source data portability platform that uses ELT connectors to synchronize data from applications, databases, and APIs to data warehouses, lakes, and other destinations. The company believes that an open-source approach covers the long tail of integrations. Moreover, teams can adapt pre-built connectors to their requirements.
- More than 25,000 companies are syncing data with Airbyte's 300+ pre-built, no-code connectors. Machine Learning, Technology, and Artificial Intelligence are the top industries that use the company for data integration.
Airbyte - Founders and Team
Airbyte was founded in January 2020 by Michel Tricot and Jean (John) Lafleur.
- Co-founder and CEO of Airbyte, Michel Tricot, has also worked as a founding member and director of engineering at rideOS and LiveRamp and software engineer at Rapleaf and Murex. He graduated from EPITA with a degree in Master of Science (M.S.) and Computer Science.
Jean (John) Lafleur
- Jean (John) Lafleur has studied MPhil in Technology Policy from the University of Cambridge and a Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Technological Innovation from Ecole Polytechnique. In addition to co-founding Airbyte, he co-founded Anaxi and StreamNation. He also held the role of COO at CodinGame and Anaxi. Currently, he is working as COO of Airbyte.
Airbyte - Startup Story
- Michel Tricot and Jean (John) Lafleur came up with the idea to help companies exchange data. They thought of building a customer portal for data providers that enable clients to evaluate and pull data however and wherever they desire. Moreover, they applied to YC W20 (January to March 2020) with the same idea.
- However, during their time at YC, they came across a data unblocking product. This product allowed website owners to get 100% of their customer traffic data for further analytics, despite visitors using ad blockers. It is during Covid-19 that the demand for this product reduced drastically.
- During this time, Michel and John met several companies and discussed their data problems. They understood the pattern and decided to return to their roots, i.e., making it easier to move data and address the data integration problem.
- From July to September, Airbyte built its MVP with 6 connectors and made customer delivery calls with customers of the leading ETL/ELT tools. The company discovered that the data integration's future is open source. Moreover, the founders decided to build the firm as a new self-hosted, open-source data integration platform during this period.
Airbyte - Mission and Vision
- Airbyte aims to give its clients' infrastructure superpowers to collect and move data seamlessly, regardless of the tools they use. All this is done by anticipating the coming changes and respecting clients' users' rights for data security.
Airbyte - Business Model
- An open-source data pipeline platform, Airbyte builds and maintains connectors while fostering the users' community who benefit from each other's custom connectors. The company's connectors run in Docker containers that allow for independent operation.
- Clients can easily monitor their connectors, refresh them when required, and schedule updates. The firm certifies each new connector to ensure they are ready for production. Airbyte offers self-hosted, cloud, and cloud enterprise experiences to sync data.
Airbyte - Products and Services
- Airbyte is famous for offering a wide range of products and solutions. Its product offerings include Airbyte Open Source, Airbyte Cloud, Airbyte Enterprise, and Free connector Program.
- When it comes to solutions, they constitute database replication, marketing analytics, product analytics, sales & customer analytics, engineering analytics, and finance & Ops analytics.
Airbyte - Funding and Investors
- Airbyte has undertaken 4 funding rounds in which it has raised a total of $181.2 million funding. Series B Round is the latest funding round and was conducted on December 17, 2021, and raised a total of $75 million. Presently, 23 investors have invested their stakes in the company, with 4 lead investors, and the recent ones are Altimeter Capital, Coatue, Benchmark, and Thrive Capital.
Airbyte - Mergers and Acquisitions
- Airbyte acquired one company, i.e., Grouparoo, on April 7, 2022.
Airbyte - Patents and Trademarks
- Airbyte has registered 2 trademarks that fall under the 'Scientific and Electric Apparatus and Instruments category.'
Airbyte - Growth
- Airbyte is daily offering its products and services to over 3,000 active companies. With 600+ contributors, more than 900 TB of data is synced monthly.
- Its estimated annual revenue as of 2021 is $13.3 million per year ($119,107 per employee). The monthly visits growth rate of the company's website is -30.3%. Moreover, its employee count increased by 129% last year.
Airbyte - Partners
The company's ecosystem of technology and consulting partners constitutes the:
- Google Cloud
- Labonoras Tech
Airbyte - Awards and Achievements
- Within the short frame of its journey, Airbyte has garnered a few prestigious awards. Recently, the company won the 'Overall Open-Source Data Solution of the Year award in Data Breakthrough Awards 2022
Airbyte - Competitors
Airbyte is presently competing with 32 competitor data integration tools. Some of its main competitors are:
- New Relic One
- Azure Data Factory
- SAP Data Services
- Salesforce Connect
- Informatica Cloud
- Informatica PowerCenter
- Apache Camel
Airbyte - Future Plans
- The Airbyte roadmap specifies its future plan. It includes ELT pipeline orchestration, ELT custom DBT transformations, ELT streaming connectors, Enterprise Dev & prod environments, an early-access program, simplifying self-service onboarding, and more.
Who are the founders of Airbyte?
- Airbyte was founded in January 2020 by Michel Tricot and Jean (John) Lafleur.
What does Airbyte do?
- Airbyte is an open-source data portability platform that uses ELT connectors to synchronize data from applications, databases, and APIs to data warehouses, lakes, and other destinations.
What problems does Airbyte solve?
- Airbyte is a solution for simplifying the integration process by utilizing an open-source approach and streamlining connector creation.