Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartUp to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by Age of Learning.
Education has become crucial more than ever. Proper education helps children develop critical skills, including mental agility, decision-making, and logical thinking.
With the advancement in technology, the world is moving to digital learning. Now students can access digital learning materials and interact with tutors and peers online while enjoying flexible, engaging, and creative courses. Edtech platforms provide more personalized and self-directed learning through exciting activities, games, materials, and programs.
Age of Learning is an edtech company that provides a comprehensive and engaging online education curriculum for pre-k, kindergarten, elementary, and middle school programs. Read further to know more details.
Age of Learning – Company Highlights
- Company Name-Age of Learning
- Headquarters-Glendale, California, United States
- Primary Industry-Edtech
- Founder-Doug Dohring
- Founded In-2007
Age of Learning - About
- Age of Learning is the leading technology provider that blends education's best practices, advanced technology, and insightful creativity to provide compelling educational experiences to children across numerous countries.
- An extensive team of education experts develops the company’s research-based digital education programs and content that have proven efficacy in elevating kids’ learning gains. The company has helped educate over 50 million children across the United States and other countries.
- How to Start an EdTech Company in 2022? (Step by Step Guide)
- The edtech industry in India is growing at a really fast pace. If you are someone planning to start your own edtech company. Here’s a guide.
Age of Learning - Industry
- Age of Learning is one of the most renowned California-based companies in the edtech industry. The term edtech is short for ‘education technology’ and constitutes using computers, technology, computer programs, and educational systems to provide education and learning to students and workers.
- The Edtech industry is home to the companies involved in creating digital platforms and content for delivering the best education curriculum and learning to people. In 2022, the global edtech market was valued at $123.4 billion and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 13.6% from 2023-2030.
- Apart from the Age of Learning, BYJU’S, Coursera, Instructure, and Knewton are the top companies in the edtech industry.
Doug Dohring - Founder, Age of Learning
- Doug Dohring is the founder of the company. He is a California-based entrepreneur who led multiple companies to success during the past three decades. Before founding Age of Learning, Doug founded NeoPets, Inc., in 2010. Additionally, he founded The Dohring Company in 1986.
- The talented team of Age of Learning includes more than 500 employees, ranging from nationally-renowned educators, curriculum experts, animators, designers, and engineers.
Age of Learning - Startup Story
- Age of Learning was set up in 2007 by Doug Dohring and is presently led by CEO Paul Candland. Its first flagship product, ABCmouse.com Early Learning Academy, was launched in 2010. Over 30 million kids use it by completing more than 6.8 billion learning activities.
What Is ABCmouse.com?
- The company collaborated with the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago in 2015. The main goal behind this collaboration was to develop a series of web-based assessments.
- In 2019, the company launched Adventure Academy- the first massively multiplayer online (MMO) game and app, helping children to learn. It launched The Age of Learning Foundation, a charitable organization to provide the company’s digital learning products free of cost to kids worldwide.
- Furthermore, it launched My Math Academy in 2021, a personalized, adaptive digital learning system driven through AI technology.
Age of Learning - Mission and Vision
- The company’s mission is to help children worldwide build a strong foundation for academic success and a lifelong love for learning. Moreover, its primary goal is to create a world of opportunity for kids worldwide through education, both today and in the future.
Age of Learning - Revenue Model
- The company works on a subscription-based revenue model. It implies that Age of Learning’s primary source of revenue is the fee paid by the users to subscribe and access its educational website and mobile applications.
Age of Learning - Products and Services
- Age of learning’s expanding portfolio of educational products comprises ABCmouse English, Adventure Academy, and the personalized and adaptive learning programs- My Math Academy and My Reading Academy.
Age of Learning - Challenges Faced
- In September 2020, Age of Learning settled a Federal Trade Commission complaint alleging that it was involved in deceptive marketing and billing practices. The complaint was focused on the 2015-2018 period; during this time, tens of thousands of consumers were affected, constituting 2% of ABCmouse subscribers. Although it didn’t admit the guilt, it agreed to pay $10 million to settle charges and avoid a prolonged dispute.
Age of Learning - Funding and Investors
- Age of Learning has undertaken 5 funding rounds in which it has raised a total of $531.5 million. Its latest funding round - Series C Round, was conducted on June 29, 2021, and raised a total of $300 million. 5 investors fund the company, and the main ones are Tecent, Qatar Investment Authority, and TPG.
Age of Learning - Mergers and Acquisitions
- Age of Learning and Rakuten came together to establish a Joint Venture.
Age of Learning - Patents and Trademark
- Age of Learning has obtained multiple patents, including the original patent for a vertically integrated educational system. Currently, it has 21 registered trademarks categorized into the ‘Education and Entertainment’ class.
Age of Learning - Growth
- The current valuation of the company stands at $3 billion. Moreover, its monthly website visit growth rate is reported to be 41.82%. Age of Learning has over 651,000 monthly app downloads, with ABCmouse and Adventure Academy the most popular ones.
Age of Learning - Partners
Age of Learning has partnered with:
- White House
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- The U.S. Department of Housing and Development
- The Campaign for Grade-Level Reading
- Digital Promise
- Boston Children’s Hospital
Age of Learning - Awards and Achievements
The company is proudly recognized for the excellence of its products and received several national awards for education, parenting, and media organizations. Some of the awards it garnered are:
- 2020 American Business Awards – Gold Stevie Winner for Adventure Academy in the Kids & Family Category
- 2020 American Business Awards – Gold Stevie Winner for Adventure Academy in the Education: Game-based Curriculum Solution Category
- 2020 Tech Advocate Awards – Winner for Adventure Academy in the Best Gamification App Category
- 2020 NAPPA Award for ABCmouse
- 2020 NAPPA Award for Adventure Academy
Age of Learning - Competitors
Age of Learning has ranked 3rd among its 1344 active competitors. Some of its main competitors are:
- MarcoPolo Learning
What age range of students does Age of Learning cater to?
- Age of Learning caters to pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, elementary, and middle school students, covering the age range of 2 to 8 years old.
What subjects are covered in Age of Learning's curriculum?
- Age of Learning's curriculum covers a wide range of subjects including language arts, reading, math, science, social studies, art, and music. They also offer learning resources such as puzzles, books, and games to enhance learning and engagement.
What types of multimedia resources are included in Age of Learning's online curriculum?
- Age of Learning's online curriculum includes a variety of multimedia resources such as interactive games, puzzles, books, videos, animations, songs, and art activities.
Who are the competitors of Age of Learning?
There are various competitors of Age of Learning which invlude -
- MarcoPolo Learning