Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartUp to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by ActiveCampaign.
In this modern era, every business is striving to provide a better customer experience to their targeted customers. Customer experience is a term used to define the sum of experiences that people have during the whole product or service cycle.
Usually, enterprises find it challenging to control how customers feel about their relationship with their products or services. It is when customer experience automation tools and software come in handy.
ActiveCampiagn is a Chicago-based private company that offers software for customer experience automation (CXA) to small and medium-sized businesses worldwide. Let’s dive in to learn more about ActiveCampaign- its startup story, founders, funding, growth, and more details.
ActiveCampaign – Company Highlights
- Company Name: ActiveCampaign
- Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Primary Industry: Software Development
- Founders: Jason VandeBoom
- Founded: In 2003
- Website: Activecampaign.com
ActiveCampaign - About
- ActiveCampaign is a cloud software platform that offers customer experience automation, apps & integration, custom objects, machine learning, services, mobile app, and developer resources. It combines transactional email, email marketing, sales automation, marketing automation, and CRM categories.
- The company is known for serving technology, education, non-profit, small businesses, fitness, real estate, entertainment & events, and travel & hospitality industries in 170 countries. It has 5 more premises in the US, Australia, Brazil, and Ireland. Moreover, it integrates with over 850 applications, including Slack, Facebook, Salesforce, WordPress, Shopify, and Gmail.
ActiveCampaign - Founders and Team
- Founder and CEO of ActiveCampaign, Jason VandeBoom has also founded BoardChair. He possesses multiple skills including marketing, email marketing, online marketing, strategic partnerships, product management and development, SaaS, and web marketing.
- Furthermore, the company employs more than 1050 employees at all its premises.
ActiveCampaign - Startup Story
- Founded by Jason VandeBoom in 2003, ActiveCampaign commenced its journey as a consulting firm and was then established as an on-premises software provider to help small and medium-sized businesses automate their marketing tasks and manage contacts.
- The company later transitioned from on-premises software to a software-as-a-service business, the main focus of which is to automate marketing and sales.
ActiveCampaign - Mission and Vision
- The mission of the company is to help growing businesses connect and engage meaningfully with their targeted customers. When it comes to the vision statement, ActiveCampaign accelerates the growth of each company with only an automation platform designed for providing better customer experiences.
- Furthermore, it is looking forward to emerging as the renowned leader and fastest-growing marketing and customer experience platform, recognized for creating a new category that replaces traditional and enterprise-focused platforms. Additionally, the company focuses on creating a global ecosystem of entrepreneurs and growth-minded businesses.
ActiveCampaign - Name, Logo, and Tagline
- ActiveCampaign follows a unique representation of using its logo with different colors. Primarily the company uses its logo in white color when displayed on dark background. And when it’s displayed on a light background, it uses primary blue as the base color.
ActiveCampaign - Business Model
- ActiveCampaign connects every tool and channel that an organization uses in its business for engaging customers at each stage of the customer lifecycle. This platform collects data from email marketing, digital advertising, website, and social media to tailor personalized touchpoints with the organization’s contacts while ensuring that the marketing is effective and engaging.
- The company automates the marketing and sales channel so that a firm can focus on the personal touches for its business to stand out and ensure that it hasn’t missed any step with its targeted customers.
ActiveCampaign - Products and Services
- The products and services of the company are classified into 4 categories – marketing, sales, e-commerce, and transactional. Marketing offers multiple solutions- marketing automation, email marketing, site tracking, landing pages, personalization, and forms.
- CRM, sales automation, lead scoring, win probability, and inbox extensions are covered in the Sales category. The E-commerce category allows integration with several e-commerce apps and the Transactional category offers access to email API, SMTP email, email delivery, transactional email templates, and inbound emails.
ActiveCampaign - Challenges Faced
- Some features that ActiveCampaign still needs to work on are the platform’s email editor and occasional slow performance. Moreover, customers find it difficult to edit multiple emails in automation and they have to build everything – identifying inactive contacts, delivering lead magnets, or adjusting granular subscription preferences- from scratch.
ActiveCampaign - Funding and Investors
- ActiveCampaign has been able to raise a total of $360 million over 3 funding rounds. Furthermore, the company’s latest funding round - Series C Round was undertaken on April 21, 2021, in which it raised a total of $300 million. It is backed by multiple investors and the main ones are Tiger Global Management, Dragoneer Investment Group, Silversmith Capital Partners, and Susquehanna Growth Equity.
ActiveCampaign - Mergers and Acquisitions
- It acquired two companies - Postmark and DMARC Digests. Postmark offers transactional email services and DMARC Digests is recognized for offering email authentication and monitoring service. Both these service offerings enhance ActiveCampaign’s capability to offer CRM along with transactional messages with sales and market automation.
ActiveCampaign - Patents and Trademarks
- It has 4 registered trademarks categorized into the ‘Scientific and technological services’ class.
ActiveCampaign - Growth
- In 2022, the annual revenue of ActiveCampaign hit $165 million with 65% YOY. the platform’s pricing is $180 per year with its current valuation worth $3 billion. Talking about the company’s customer base, it has more than 140K active users and is serving over 180K businesses. The monthly app download growth is estimated to be 9.06%. Moreover, the employee count has increased by 13%.
ActiveCampaign - Awards and Achievements
ActiveCampaign has garnered a myriad of prestigious awards as the leader in its industry. Some recent awards that the company earned are:
- Best Email Marketing Tool & Best Email deliverability 2023 by ToolTester
- 2022 Chicago Top Workforces by Chicago Tribune
- 2022 Tech Cares Award Winner by TrustRadius
- 2022 APPEALIE SaaS + Software Award Winner by APPEALIE
- Best Companies for Remote Workers 2022 by Quartz
- Cloud 100 by Forbes
- 2022 Sales and Marketing Technology Awards by The Intelligence Group
- The Top 100 Software Companies of 2022 by The Software Report
ActiveCampaign - Competitors
Some of its main competitors are:
- AVADA Email
ActiveCampaign - Future Plans
- ActiveCampaign is committed to its customer success and will continue to utilize the resources required for making Postmark a winning solution for small and medium businesses. Moreover, the product-first company plans to continue investing in and prioritizing its roadmap for innovation.
What tools does ActiveCampaign offer for customer experience automation?
- ActiveCampaign offers email marketing, marketing automation, CRM, messaging, and personalized content tools for customer experience automation.
Does ActiveCampaign offer mobile app support?
- Yes, ActiveCampaign offers mobile app support for both iOS and Android platforms. The app provides access to managing contacts, sending campaigns, viewing analytics, and updating deals on the go.
What are the challenges faced by ActiveCampaign?
- Some features that ActiveCampaign still needs to work on are the platform’s email editor and occasional slow performance.