Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartUp to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by the organization it is based on.
Entertainment has always been an integral part of everyone’s life and movies, web series, and television shows have emerged as the main source. The entertainment industry has changed significantly in the last few decades.
In the early days, people used to visit theatres to watch news clips of the war and now to watch different genres of movies- from action to romance and comedy. Moreover, streaming platforms allow people to watch movies in the comfort of their homes.
In 2021, the global movies and entertainment market size was valued at $90.92 billion and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 7.2% during 2023-2030. With such a huge market size, the industry offers lucrative opportunities for companies to thrive.
A24, originally a small independent movie distributor, has quickly captured a huge market share in the entertainment industry. Despite launching merely 10 years ago, it has managed to secure itself a fanatical fan following.
This article will help you know everything about A24 - from its startup story and founders to funding, growth, achievements, and partners.
A24 - Company Highlights
- Company Name-A24
- Headquarters-New York City, United States
- Primary Industry-Entertainment
- Founders-Daniel Katz, David Fenkel, and John Hodges
- Founded In-2012
- Revenue-$123.3M (2022)
- Previously Known As-A24 Films (2012-2016)
A24 - About
- Formerly known as A24 Films, it is now globally recognized as A24. Set up in 2012, it is an American independent entertainment company that produces films and television shows and distributes films. In addition, it publishes books based on the scripts of its films.
- It is currently operating under the leadership of Terry warren (CEO) and Matthew Bires (Founder and COO). Since 2013, the company is known for releasing over 100 critically acclaimed movies, web series, and television shows, including titles like Moonlight, The Witch, Hereditary, Uncut Gems, Euphoria, and Lady Bird.
A24 - Mission and Vision
- A24 works to fill the gap where talented people could be talented. As shared by Mr. Daniel Katz in one of his interviews with GQ magazine, he felt that there is a huge opportunity to create where talented people could be talented. And their all movies are great proof of the mission. Its common goal is to tell interesting, unique stories.
A24 - Founders and Team
Daniel Katz, David Fenkel, and John Hodges are the co-founders of A24.
- Daniel Katz has earned a lot of acclaim among critics, industry experts, and audiences by co-founding A24. He is also a board member at Gamma, a modern media and music company.
- Earned a degree in BA from the University of Rochester, David Fenkel is a co-founder and partner at A24.
- Co-founder of A24, John Hodges previously held the role of head of production at Big Beach Films and produced the "Jordan Vogt-Roberts" drama “King of Summer.” Now he is working as a Head of Film at Jax Media.
- When it comes to the company size, A24 currently has 480 employees.
A24 - Startup Story
- Film veterans Daniel Katz, David Fenkel, and John Hodges founded the company on August 20, 2012. The name ‘A24’ was inspired by the Italian A24 motorway which was being driven by Katz when he decided to form the company. The main idea behind forming the company was to share movies from a distinctive point of view.
- In 2013, the company began its distribution of films with its first theatrical release - Roman Coppola’s ‘A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III.’ And in September 2013, it signed a deal worth $40 million with DirectTV Cinema offering A24 day-and-date release 30 days before a theatrical release. The company signed a deal with Amazon prime in the same year, stating that its distributed films would be available on Amazon Instance Video.
- In 2018, it launched a podcast – the A24 Podcast and co-founder John Hodges exited the company. Moreover, it entered into a multi-year partnership with Apple in the same year. The company collaborated with Showtime Networks in 2019, covering its film releases through November 2022.
A24 - Products and Services
- The company offers 2 products – Motion Pictures and Television Programs and 3 services – Film Distribution, Film production, and Television Production.
A24 - Funding and Investors
- A24 has undertaken 2 funding rounds and raised a total of $225 million. The latest funding round was held on 9 March 2022 – Private Equity Round, which raised $225 million. 3 investors fund the company and Neuberger Berman Group and Stripes are the recent ones.
A24 - Subsidiaries
- It has three divisions – A24 Television, A24 International, and A24 All Access (AAA24).
A24 - Partners
- The company has partnered with several companies either for a single project or a lifetime. Some of its partners are- Apple, Amazon, DirectTV Cinema, and Showtime Networks.
A24 - Growth
- In 2022, A24's annual revenue is approximately $123.3 million per year ($256,250 per employee) with its current valuation standing at $2.5 billion (March 2022). Moreover, its employee count grew by 33% last year and the monthly rank growth of the website is 3.49%.
A24 - Advertisements and Social Media Campaigns
- Although A24 has fewer marketing dollars than its competitors, it succeeded in garnering articles and attention from the audience. The company always believed in leveraging experimental marketing. Social media and digital campaigns are the spines of its marketing campaign. Moreover, collaborates with other brands, influencers, and media outlets for cross-promotion.
A24 - Awards and Achievements
- As of 2023, the films produced and distributed by A24 had received a total of 49 Academy Award nominations.
- In 2016, films distributed by the company won 3 Academy Awards for Best Visual Effects, Best Documentary Feature, and Best Actress.
- In 2017, the company won its first Best Picture Oscar for Barry Jenkins ‘Moonlight.’
- It won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2021.
- It’s the most nominated studio for the 2023 awards with a total of 18 nominations.
A24 - Competitors
The company is successfully running in the entertainment industry even after facing tough competition. Some of its competitors are:
- Imagine Entertainment
- Jax Media LLC
- Scott Free
What was the first A24 movie?
- The first film by A24 was named "Amy".
Who is the A24 target audience?
- A24 films are more or less made and directed for young and active audiences.
What is A24 highest grossing film?
- A24's highest-grossing film of all time is Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) which made $101 million worldwide.
Who is the biggest competitor of A24?
- Some of the biggest competitors of A24 are TVN, Zee Entertainment, IDream Film Infrastructure, Beijing Enlight Media, etc.