Software engineering has become one of the most sought-after and lucrative career profiles worldwide, with its market size having the potential to reach $123.5 billion by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 11.26%.
The substantial growth in demand significantly impacts corporate goals and hiring tactics. IT companies must refine their software engineer recruitment techniques to prevent hiring from becoming a significant barrier. However, not only are enterprises finding it difficult to recruit talented software developers, but candidates also need help to land lucrative jobs.
Andela is one of the most prominent global talent networks that provides companies with software engineering talent in emerging markets. This article highlights every vital detail about Andela, from its startup story, funding, and founders to investors, competitors, and more.
Andela - Company Highlights
- Company Name- Andela
- Headquarters- New York City, New York, United States
- Industry- IT Recruitment
- Founder- Jeremy Johnson, Christina Sass, Nadayar Enegesi, Ian Carnevale, Iyinoluwa Aboyeji, Brice Nkengsa
- Founded- 2014
- Website- andela.com
Andela - About
- Andela is a global placement network for software engineers and developers. The company paves the way for sustainable careers by connecting technologists with long-term engagements and providing them access to international roles, competitive remuneration, and career coaching.
- It spans six continents and has opened career paths for over 175,000 budding software engineers worldwide. Hundreds of organizations, including ViacomCBS, Casper, GitHub, Mastercard, Cloudflare, and many more, are loyal to Andela.
Andela - Industry
- Andela operates within the IT recruitment industry, which focuses on identifying, attracting, and hiring skilled professionals for technology-related roles. The industry serves both companies seeking to expand their technical teams and individuals looking for new career opportunities in the technology field. With the rapid growth of the technology sector, IT recruitment has become increasingly competitive, requiring companies to employ innovative strategies to attract and retain top talent in a highly competitive market.
- The global IT recruitment market size was $147.923 billion in 2021 and is projected to reach $230.473 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 7.67%.
Andela - Founders and Team
- Jeremy Johnson, Nadayar Enegesi, Iyinoluwa Aboyeji, Christina Sass, Brice Nkengsa, and Ian Carnevale co-founded Andela in 2014.
- Jeremy Johnson is an alumnus of Princeton University. Currently, he is working as the co-founder and CEO at Andela. He commenced his career by founding Zandigo and working as its CEO.
- In addition, he is an ex-member of the Board of Directors of PENCIL, Inc. He also co-founded 2U and is a member of its Board of Advisors.
- Christina Sass earned a master’s in International Law and Diplomacy from The Fletcher School at Tufts University. She is the Advisory Council Member at NYU Stern School of Business and a Life member of the Council on Foreign Relations.
- In addition to this, she has been Andela’s co-founder and is now Chair of its Advisory Council. Christina is also a full-time Founding Partner at Dive In.
- Nadayar Enegesi completed BCS in Computer Science from the University of Waterloo. He has been one of the co-Founders of Andela and worked as its Director. He has also been the Applications Developer at BNOTIONS, CTO at Fora Inc, and Code Reviewer at Udacity.
- Iyinoluwa Aboyeji attended the University of Waterloo and earned a bachelor’s degree in legal studies. A Nigerian entrepreneur, he is the ex-co-founder of Andela and was Managing Director at Flutterwave.
- Ian Carnevale attended the University of Toronto to study Computer Science, Digital Enterprise Management. He has been the co-founder of Street Capital and Andela. Currently. Currently, he serves as Volley's Founder and CEO.
- Brice Nkengsa completed his bachelor’s in software engineering from the University of Waterloo. He has been the co-founder and Director of Engineering at Andela. In addition, Brice worked as an Agile Engineer at Pivotal Labs and Software Engineer at Blackberry.
- In 2014, Jeremy Johnson, Nadayar Enegesi, Iyinoluwa Aboyeji, Christina Sass, Brice Nkengsa, and Ian Carnevale established Andela with the main aim of extending engineering teams with skilled and trained IT professionals. Andela launched its first call for applications on Twitter in May 2014. The company received 700 applications for 4 spots and hired its first cohort- four Nigerian software engineers.
- In 2018, the first two sets of engineers completed the four-year program. In 2019, Christina Sass stepped down from her President position and started working as a supporting Chair of the company’s Advisory Council.
- Andela expanded its hiring criteria for middle and senior-level engineers in Nairobi, Kampala, and Lagos in 2019. The organization went fully remote in 2020 after its first expansion to Ghana and Egypt.
- Andela’s mission is to connect brilliance with opportunity, irrespective of gender, race, and geography.
- Andela aims to empower individuals and unlock their potential on a large scale. They envision a world where the most talented people can build a career commensurate with their ability – not their race, gender, or geography.
- Andela connects the most talented software engineers and developers with leading engineering teams. The company finds qualified and talented software engineers through online skill tests and interviews. Then it trains them for 4-6 months via the Andela Learning Community, where they acquire additional skills and knowledge. After training is completed, Andela helps in the placement of these individuals in competitive jobs with leading companies, enabling them to apply their skills and contribute to real-world projects.
- Andela typically provides IT recruitment services. It lets companies and enterprises discover talent, and technologists, programmers, product managers, and designers find work through its platform.
- Andela has raised $381 million in funding over 9 rounds. Its latest funding round, the Series E Round, was conducted on September 29, 2021, and the company raised $200 million. Several renowned investors back the company, including SoftBank Vision Fund, Generation Investment Management, Spark Capital, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and Google Ventures.
- Andela has acquired two companies: Codewars and Qualified.
- Andela is registered with two trademarks, with ‘Advertising; Business’ as the most popular class.
- Innovation Village
- Business Insider Sub-Saharan Africa by Pulse
- Some of the recognitions Andela earned are as follows:
- Positioned as one of the Best Companies for Remote Workers in 2022 on Quartz’s List
- Named the ‘Next Billion-Dollar Startup’ by Forbes