Company Profile is an initiative by ListMyStartup to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by Algolia.
In this digital age, the fastest way to promote business is to have a well-functioning website. But you can hear many companies complaining about their website's search.
According to statistics, there are 3.5 billion daily searches and 1.2 trillion searches per year. You can improve your site's search capabilities with the help of a reliable search-as-a-service platform.
Algolia is at the top of the heap when it comes to search and discovery APIs for web and mobile applications. Let us dig into more details about the company, like how it started, the competition it faces, its market value, and so on.
Algolia - Company Highlights
- Company Name-Algolia
- Headquarters- San Francisco, California, United States
- Sector - Search Engines
- Founders - Nicolas Dessaigne, Julien Lemoine
- Founded In - 2012
- Revenue - $2.3B (2022)
- Website - Algolia.com
Algolia - About
- Algolia is the AI-powered, search-as-a-service platform that allows companies to provide an instant, relevant, and impactful customer experience. Moreover, it developed dynamic experiences that let companies immediately anticipate visitors' intentions on their web or mobile application.
- Millions of developers use the platform globally to distribute their content efficiently over digital media. Algolia is API-first and handles 40 million search queries monthly for over 5,000 firms, including big names such as Periscope, Medium, Twitch, Under Armour, and Strip.
Algolia - Founders and Team
Julien Lemoine and Nicolas Dessaigne founded Algolia in 2012.
- Julian Lemoine originally belonged to Paris, France, and graduated in Computer Engineering, Specialization in Cognitive Science and Advanced Algorithms from EPITA. He has over ten years of experience in the search industry.
- Before co-founding Algolia and working as the company's Advisor and Board Member, Julien was CTO of MASA Group.
- Nicolas Dessaigne completed his M.S. and Ph.D. in Computer Sciences and is the co-founder and Board Member of Algolia. He also worked as CTO at Arisem and VP of R&D at Exalead. Moreover, currently, he is the Independent Board Member of Artifakt and a Group Partner of Y Combinator.
- Initially, they had an ambitious yet straightforward goal: to revolutionize how people used to get information when looking for something online. It gave birth to Algolia in 2012. Initially, the company was focused on offline search using mobile phones.
- The company commenced with two data centers in Europe, and in 2014, it opened a third center in Singapore. In 2019, Algolio claimed a global presence with 70+ data centers across 16 countries.
Algolia - Mission and Vision
- Algolia aims to empower every enterprise to create delightful Search and Discovery experiences for users.
Algolia - Business Model
- The Algolia model provides search-as-a-service with which the client's entire website can be searched via a third-party-hosted search engine. Search engines such as Google and Yahoo crawl the whole web, including the client's web, and then tailor the information according to the search query.
- However, Algolia made the search process easier as it exclusively crawls the customer's website. By bringing the results the client seeks, the platform drastically cuts down the time the customer spends seeking information.
What is Algolia
Algolia - Revenue Model
- The company has three pricing plans- Build, Grow, and Premium.
Algolia - Products and Services
- The Alogolio platform is the company's primary offering. Moreover, it offers multiple solutions, like Enterprise Search, Headless e-Commerce, Mobile & App Search, and Voice Search.
Algolia - Funding and Investors
- Algolia has undertaken 8 funding rounds and has raised $334.2 million. Series D is the latest funding round conducted on July 28, 2021, and raised $150 million. 40 investors back Aloglia; some big names are Lone Pine Capital, Accel Partners, and Alven Capital.
- Algolia is responsible for 1.5 trillion searches a year, 16 times more than Yahoo and 6 times more than Bing. Now, one out of every eight online users uses this technology.
- Moreover, its estimated annual revenue in 2022 is $152.8 million per year ($184,707 revenue per employee). Algolia was valued at $2.3 billion in 2022. Its website growth rate is 14.63%, and employees increased by 26%.
Algolia has partnered with the following:
- AKQA Denmark
- Thanx Media, Inc.
- Xpediant Digital
Algolia - Awards and Achievements
Some of the awards it garnered are:
- Gold Winner of the 2023 AVA Digital Awards in the "Digital Marketing" category
- G2 Grid for Enterprise Search Software recognized Algolia as a leader for the 13th time
- MarTech Breakthrough Awards in the "Best Overall Optimization Solution" category
- Best Company Outlook
- Best Placed to Work in the Bay Area
- Best Product & Design Team
Algolia - Competitors
Some of its main competitors are:
What is Algolia and what does it do?
- Algolia is the AI-powered, search-as-a-service platform that allows companies to provide an instant, relevant, and impactful customer experience. It is API-first and handles 40 million search queries monthly.
Who are the founders of Algolia?
- Julien Lemoine and Nicolas Dessaigne founded Algolia in 2012.
What is the pricing offered by Algolia?
- The company has three pricing plans- Build, Grow, and Premium. The Build Plan is absolutely free. In the Grow plan the company charges $0.50 per 1000 search requests and in the Premium plan, the pricing can be customized as per the request.
Some of its main competitors are: